It can be frustrating to try to cook in an oven that is not baking at the proper temperature, or that is baking unevenly. You are constantly opening the door to look at the cake you're baking, or at the roast you put in to feed the guests that are about to arrive, turning the food in the oven to try and make it as even as possible, or checking the temperature to be sure you aren't feeding your guests something that could potentially harm them. An oven that is baking unevenly is frustrating, but it can be repaired. See below for tips and instructions on how to fix this problem.
Tools For The Job:
- Screwdriver (both types)
- Nut driver
- New door gaskets
Before working on your oven, always be sure to turn off the power and the gas.
- To begin with, you need to check the door. If it's cocked in any way, you need to make the necessary adjustments. To check if the door is straight, open it slightly, then attempt to twist it. If it's secure in the hinges, it won't move. If you feel it move at all, you need to tighten the screws on the hinges with a screwdriver. Be sure not to over-tighten, as you can damage the surface of the door.
- Once you have the door tightened, check that the gaskets are sealing your door properly. If they aren't, the heat from your oven can be escaping. To test this, place a piece of paper in the door, then attempt to pull it out. If the door is sealed properly, it will be difficult to remove the piece of paper. If you are able to pull it out with ease, you need to replace your door gaskets.
- There are two different gaskets (depending on your oven style). One around the door, and one around the oven opening. Replace both of these gaskets with new ones. Remove the old gasket around the door using a screwdriver. Take the old gasket off and replace it with a new one. Use the screws that came with the new gasket.
- To replace the gasket around the inside of the opening, you'll need to remove the clips holding it in place, then remove the bolts holding the oven liner, and take off the liner and the gasket.
- Next, remove the gasket from the liner, then replace it with a new gasket. Replace the liner in your oven and re-attach the bolts and clips.
If your oven is still cooking unevenly, the problem could the thermostat or the burner ports. Contact an oven repair service like J & M Appliance for help if you are still having issues.