When you turn on your garbage disposal you will immediately detect a problem when the water begins to bubble upwards instead of going down. This is a problem that happens when the drain line of the disposal is plugged. You may need to call a drain cleaning company to unplug it for you, and afterwards you should learn what to do and what not to do to avoid problems like this in the future.
Tips To Keep Your Disposal In Good Working Condition
A garbage disposal is nice to have with your kitchen sink, but it is only useful when it is working properly. The best way to keep it working properly is to use it for what it is intended for, and to avoid using it in ways that will cause it harm. To avoid clogs and other problems, you can follow these tips:
- Avoid putting too much food down it at once – If you have a lot of food to grind up in the disposal, pour a little at a time into the drain. As you do this, run the system to grind it up as you go.
- Run cold water with it – Cold water is better to use than hot because it will help dissolve soap bubbles and grime, grease, and other types of items that are placed into the system. Always turn the cold water on as the disposal is operating.
- Do not put certain things in the system – There are many types of food items you can safely place in the disposal, but you should avoid putting other things in it, such as egg shells, bones, coffee grounds, potato peels, and corn husks. You should also avoid putting things into it that are not food items. This includes cigarette butts, metal items, and items made of wood. Many of these items will clog your pipes or cause the blades in the disposal to wear out.
If you use the system properly, you may be able to prevent clogs from forming.
Tips To Keep The System Clean
You may also want to get in the habit of taking steps to keep the system fresh and clean. This is important because food can get trapped in the unit and can leave your kitchen with odors. There are several different things you can do to ensure that your garbage disposal is clean, and here are a few ideas:
- Use soap – One of the easiest habits to get into is to start cleaning your disposal with soap after each use. You can do this by placing a couple drops of dish soap into the device and then adding water. After a few minutes, run cold water and turn on the device to allow everything to drain from it.
- Use citrus peels – You can use leftover orange, grapefruit, lemon, or lime peels to clean your disposal. To do this, cut them into small pieces and place them in the drain. Turn on the disposal and allow it to chop up the peels. This will clean and freshen your system if you do it weekly.
- Use vinegar – Vinegar is a natural cleansing product you probably have at home. You can use it to clean the disposal by pouring it into the drain, or you could freeze vinegar in the form of ice cubes and place them in the drain.
Performing regular cleaning duties on the device could help you keep it cleaner and free from clogs. If you develop a clog in your disposal drain line, make sure you call a company that offers drain cleaning services. You will not be able to use this sink drain until the problem is fixed, and they will make sure that the line is running freely when they leave. For more information on drain cleaning companies, check out sites like http://lowryservices.com.